It was Friday night just after 5pm (when all pediatrician offices close for the weekend) and Addison tripped while walking with her plate of pizza. The plate broke and she fell onto one of the broken pieces and cut her knee. It wasn't a really bad cut but it was on her knee and deep enough that it really needed stitches to hold it together.
I called the insurance company to make sure we could be seen at our doctor's after hours clinic and they said they didn't see it on their list. I should've just gone there anyways but I decided to go to the clinic that was on their approved list. I'd never been to this clinic so I was not sure what to expect.
We didn't have the nicest doctor, he kept saying we should probably go to UM emergency room because she's only 4 and too young to do stitches at that clinic because she probably can't tolerate the pain. I told him that she'd be fine and to go ahead with a shot to numb the knee. There was no way going to the ER on a Friday night was going to be any less painful or frightening for a 4 year old.
As it turned out Addison did amazing, she screamed a bit when they had to get the numbing shot in deep but once they started the stitches she was fine. She did get a bit tired of having her legs held still so at one point, she said, "ok, all done, I'm going to get up now" The nurse was smiling and said that they had to do one more stitch. Addie relented and stayed on the exam table.
She ended up with 3 stitches and I think it actually needed 4 but the doctor was so nervous about doing stitches on her that he tried to go fast. It was all fine, she danced her way out of the building, very happy to have gotten Disney stickers.
As long as we were in Ann Arbor I decided to get milk at Meijers since we had none. Addie was so peppy at Meijers, she got a free cookie at the bakery and wanted to look at the girls clothing. We ended up getting her some sparkly headbands and lacy tights. I probably would've bought her anything in the store to make up for all that she had to go through that evening. But in true Addison fashion she never asks for anything, she's always content with simple things!
You would never know she had stitches, the very next morning she was jumping on the trampoline and playing with all the kids on their bikes. Her wound did bleed a few times but there was no keeping Addie from running wild so I kept reapplying neosporin and bandaids and back to playing she'd go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment