Friday, October 22, 2010

Fun Fridays

This year we have no school, no sports and no scheduled activities on Fridays. So with it being my last year having both kids home with me Fridays will be a no work, all fun day. I have a list of places we might go and a list of things we might do at home. I'm hoping to do all the activities I said I'd do with my kids when I was a mom. Sadly many of them I haven't done yet so this year Fridays will be our fun day to do it all!


This past Friday we decided to wake up late because it was our first week of school and we needed a lazy morning, or maybe just mom did. After a late breakfast we went down the basement to the craft corner and made birthday cards for Nana. I was very proud of Braden, it took a long time but he wrote out "Happy Birthday Nana" and then wrote his name. A true test of my patience as well since I had to coach him on a lot of the letters he didn't know.

Then we ate a quick lunch and were getting ready to go downtown Chelsea to get Nana a birthday gift. Braden got into the car to look for something and didn't close the car door so I went to close the car door and it wouldn't close. I looked at the door latch and it was jammed. I asked Braden if he touched it and he said yes he had poked it with his finger and then it moved. I went to the other side of the car to inspect how that door looked so I could try to fix it and in touching it myself the latch rolled on that one too! So now, we've got two car doors that won't close and I've looked at the car manual, tried a bunch of screwdrivers in there but no luck.

So in frustration, I pack up the stroller and off the kids and I went to walk downtown leaving the car in the driveway with two car doors open and a slow dying battery. I had already tried calling Brian at work but couldn't reach him. We got downtown and checked out some stores. Brian called me back and said why don't you call the Chevrolet service department and maybe they could help us over the phone. I really didn't want to take the car in and pay for them to fix the minor issue. I did tell Braden that if we had to get the car fixed the money would come out of his Christmas money for gifts. I think he learned his lesson about touching things he shouldn't because he was quite upset about the idea of not getting his Nintendo DS.

After we finished shopping and the kids had made a careful decision on what to get Nana we went over the the Treehouse to get some exercise. It was almost 5pm on a Friday and there was no way I could make it home walking before they closed so I called the dealership while the kids played and over the phone I had to describe the problem. The mechanic seemed to understand what I was talking about and gave me a suggestion. I couldn't try it since I wasn't home but sure hoped it would work.

When the kids were done playing at the Treehouse we walked home and they wanted to ride bikes so while they rode bikes I got a screwdriver and fixed the car doors SUCCESSFULLY!

Overall it was a fun Friday with a little stress moment too but it seems like everyday with kids is fun filled and stressful all in one!

No comments: