Saturday, June 27, 2009

Chelsea Library

The kids and I go to the Library a lot. They have great programs for kids and we are lucky to have such a nice library in our small town.


We recently attended the Summer Book Reading Kickoff Party. There are games, snacks, crafts, a bounce house and performances. Not all of the activities are for my age kids but we like going anyways.

Like we did last year we packed our lunch and ate it on the lawn (a picnic of course since Braden loves them). Nana came with us this year and it was a lot of fun.


The only incident was when the kids had to go to the bathroom and we had to wait in line. Addie was sitting on a library chair waiting and she announced "pee pee coming" and that was it, I saw the puddle on the chair. But a few paper towels and cleaner and it was all taken care of. Addie didn't care, she's very easygoing in that way.

Addie and Braden usually check out some books from the library. Most of the time Braden goes to the kids section and finds a truck book of some sort. Addie heads to the reference section and pulls out encyclopedias. She always wants to take them home and I have to tell her that section of the library are not books we can take home. At one recent library visit I asked the children's librarian if there were any encyclopedias that can be checked out. She showed me an area of children's reference books that can be checked out. Addie chose a two inch thick purple encyclopedia and was very happy. We have been reading it at bedtime and I hear her in her room after I've left looking at the pictures and talking about them.

I find it hilarious that my child opts for encyclopedias to check out at the library and she's only two years old. Addie has her own way of thinking, we call it "Addie's world."


Here's an example of "Addie's world."


I took the kids to Meijers and Addie was wearing her Dora dress which she loves a lot. As we were leaving the checkout aisle the cart was too full to put the kids in so they had to walk. Addie was in her "world" as she danced down the aisle way to the exit singing and swinging her dress. All the people going by were laughing and smiling at her and she just continued on, oblivious to the world going on around her. Her uniqueness keeps me laughing!


And not to leave Braden out he has plenty of funny moments too. We attend storytime at the library once a week. The storytime recently was all about fathers in honor of Father's Day. The book being read was about all the things you do with your dads. One of the pages of the book said you go swimming in the lake. Braden yelled out that "he's going swimming with his dad at Nana's lakehouse and he can go to the lakehouse now because he pees in the potty." The woman who leads storytime was a bit surprised but very kindly told Braden that is exciting news. The funny thing is he said that because he remembered me telling him a while ago that we weren't going to the lakehouse wearing diapers. We were going to learn to use the potty so that we can play at the beach and swim in the lake without worrying about those awful swim diapers. Apparently what I said sunk in, little did I know when it was going to come back to haunt me!!
















No comments: